Chartwell Library is representing Arrowtown on our Great New Zealand Tiki Tour!
Head along and try your hand at fishing in Bush Creek on 13 January, or pop in any time to do some activities and get a sticker for the map in your Summer Reading booklet.
Choose your own adventure
Check back later for a choose-your-own-adventure game exploring Arrowtown, where you can earn an extra entry into the weekly prize draw.
Puzzle: Autumn in Arrowtown
How fast can you solve this puzzle? Try changing the number of pieces for a harder challenge.
Southern Cheese Rolls recipe
Here's a recipe you can try at home for cheese rolls, a traditional South Island delicacy!
Learn more about the history of the southern cheese roll.
1 can reduced cream
1 packet onion soup
1 cup grated cheese
1 loaf sandwich bread
butter or margarine
1. Mix 1 can of reduced cream and onion soup in a bowl. Add grated cheese and mix through.
2. If you don't like crusts on bread, cut them off now- this is optional. Spread each slice with butter or margarine.
3. Spread two-thirds of the unbuttered side with one heaped dessert spoonful of cheese mix. Roll up tightly so filling doesn’t spill out.
4. Place on a baking tray and bake at 180°C oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: You can assemble ahead of time and keep covered with a damp tea towel or in a large plastic container in fridge ready for cooking as required. Cheese rolls can be served with a chutney.
An alternative version of this recipe is to change the reduced cream to evaporated milk. Put the evaporated milk into a pot, stir in onion soup mix and simmer while continuously stirring. When the mix thickens slightly, add in the grated cheese and continue to mix until melted. Take this off the heat and chill mix. When chilled, wrap into bread as usual.