Membership of Hamilton City Libraries is free to residents/ratepayers of Hamilton City Council. Other membership options are available for non-residents/ratepayers and for visitors to Hamilton — please contact the library for further details. Corporate memberships are also available.
Joining in person
You may join at any of our six libraries. Joining one library gives you access to all our libraries but before you receive full borrowing privileges you will need to provide personal identification, proof of address and sign your library card.
You may join using the online form after reading and accepting the membership conditions. Once you've completed the online form, you'll be given a temporary membership number that you can use when reserving items in the catalogue. Before receiving full borrowing privileges, you'll need to visit one of our libraries within 2 weeks, show your personal identification, proof of address and sign your library card.Join now
Conditions of Membership
As a member you are responsible for:
- Returning items by the due date.
- All fees and charges on your account.
- Any loss, theft or damage that occurs to items while on loan to you.
- Informing the library when your card is lost or stolen.
- Informing the library of any change of address or other contact details.
You will be entitled to a maximum of 20 items on issue at any one time.
Under 18 years:
- Permission from a parent or legal guardian willing to accept all guarantor responsibilities is required.
- The guarantor agrees to accept responsibility for all fees, charges, and items.
- A guarantor's borrowing privileges are linked to those they are acting as guarantor for.
- Suspension of borrowing rights and/or referral to a debt collection agency may occur to recover overdue items and charges on all cards you are responsible for.
- The use by any person of any library service or facility must be for legal purposes, and must not result in a breach of copyright, breach of privacy rights, unauthorised alteration or deletion of data or website contents, unauthorised access to information or the access or transmission of illegal images or text.
One form of current personal identification with your name on it. For example, a driver’s licence, passport, birth/marriage or civil union certificate, bankcard or credit card, Community Services card or official student ID card.
Proof of address:
An official document dated and mailed within the last two months stating your name and current residential address. For example, a tenancy agreement, bank statement, bills such as electricity, gas, telephone, rates or an address included on a current driver’s licence.
We offer subscription memberships for non-Hamilton residents or ratepayers. As a subscription member, you are entitled to use of our entire print collections, eCollections and online resources.
There are two subscription membership options - Individual or Group. Individual membership can be purchased for 6 months or 1 year, and entitles you to a maximum of 20 items on issue at any one time.
A Group membership can be purchased for 6 months or 1 year, this entitles you to up to six library cards for your household per Group, and a maximum of 20 items on issue, per card, at any one time.
Please see our Fees and Charges for current Subscription Membership costs.
Your rights to access, and correct, any personal information we hold about you, are subject to the Privacy Act 1993.
A copy of our full Privacy Statement can be found here.
You may join the library using the online form.